Elton John: The Video Tour Programme (World Tour 1992-1993) (1992)

$ 27.75

Elton’s return to the road after a two-year break followed the recording of the album The One in France and a number of solo appearances at various tributes and benefits, including those for Freddie Mercury (Elton would perform Queen’s The Show Must Go On throughout the 1992 tour) and bassist Dee Murray, who had passed away in January.

Elton and his band, with new members Bob Birch on bass and Mark Taylor on keyboards and guitars, and the backing vocalists from the 1990 tour, opened in Oslo, Norway on May 26, 1992, and worked their way through Europe before finishing up at Spain’s Estadi del FC Barcelona on July 21.

The North American leg of The One tour began at the Lakewood Amphitheatre in Atlanta, GA, on August 11 and ended on November 14 at Azteca Stadium in Mexico City. Four of the dates in August (two each at Shea and Dodger Stadiums) were tandem concerts with Eric Clapton. Each artist did their own set (with percussionist Ray Cooper now a member of Clapton’s band), and Eric joined Elton during Runaway Train, on which he had played on the album.

The final show of Elton’s seven-night run at Madison Square Garden, on October 11, was a benefit for the Elizabeth Taylor AIDS Foundation and included Bruce Hornsby, Lionel Richie, George Michael and Whoopi Goldberg — each joining Elton after his own abbreviated set. Lionel and Elton duetted on John Lennon’s Imagine and George sang Elton’s Ticking.

The 1993 leg of the tour began at the Mount Smart Stadium in Auckland, NZ, and continued through Australia. Following three performances in Hong Kong and Malaysia, Elton and the band revisited North America beginning with a show at the Capitol Center in Landover, MD, on April 9. Some of the shows in the US were held in conjunction with the local Hard Rock Cafe, and benefitted the newly-formed Elton John AIDS Foundation.

Just four days after a show at The Omni in Atlanta, the UK/Europe leg of the tour began on May 12 at Earls Court in London and ended at Istanbul Stadium on June 20. The stop in Tel Aviv, IL, in mid-June got substantial press coverage when Elton abruptly left the country without performing and then returned the following day to play a make-up concert.